A nickel-chromium grade, Alloy 600, often referred to as Inconel 600, is perfect for use in the heat treating industry.
Apart from good carburisation resistance, Alloy 600 has an excellent oxidation resistance up to 1093°C.
Inconel 600 is a nickel-chromium alloy used for applications that require corrosion and high temperature resistance. This nickel alloy was designed for service temperatures from cryogenic to elevated temperatures in the range of 2000° F. It is non-magnetic, has excellent mechanical properties, and presents the desirable combination of high strength and good weldability under a wide range of temperatures. The high nickel content in Inconel 600 enables it to retain considerable resistance under reducing conditions, makes it resistant to corrosion by a number of organic and inorganic compounds, gives it excellent resistance to chloride-ion stress-corrosion cracking and also provides excellent resistance to alkaline solutions. Typical applications of this nickel alloy include the chemical, pulp and paper, aerospace, nuclear engineering and heat treating industries.
It is not recommended that Inconel Alloy 600 be used at red heat temperatures where sulphur is present. It has also been found that Inconel 600 can fall victim to stress corrosion cracking in hot, concentrated caustic alkalis, however, this can be avoided if the fabrication is fully stress relieved before use. Recommended stress relieving temperature of 982-1010 °C for 1 hour yields the best performance.
Inconel 600 Characteristic:
- Resistant to a wide range of corrosive media.
- Virtually immune to chlorine ion stress corrosion cracking
- Excellent mechanical properties
- High strength and good weldability under a wide range of temperatures
Inconel 600 Chemical Composition
Inconel 600 Physical Properties
Inconel 600 Mechanical Properties
|Mechanical & Physical Properties||21°C||538°C||649°C||760°C||871°C||982°C||1093°C|
|Ultimate Tensile Strength /MPa||641.2||579.2||448.2||189.6||103.4||51.7||-|
|0.2% Yield Strength /MPa||255.1||196.5||182.7||117.2||62||27.6||-|
|Charpy Impact V-notch /J||61||63.7||52.9||62.4||108.5||160||-|
|Coefficient of Thermal Expansion µm/m⁰C||-||15.1||15.5||15.6||16.4||-||16.7|
|Thermal Conductivity /kcal/(hr.m.°C)||12.8||19.6||21.3||19.3||23.8||-||-|
|Modulus of Elasticity / x105 MPa||2.1||1.77||1.69||1.63||1.53||-||1.4|
Inconel 600 Processing And Heat Treatment
Inconel 600 alloy has excellent cold forming properties. The high nickel content prevents the transformation of bulk to martensite during cold working, which occurs in 301 and 304 stainless steels. Alloy 600 has a lower machining tendency than stainless steel 301 and 304, and can be used in a variety of machining methods for large-scale deformation operations.Annealing at high temperature will make the grain grow. A wide range of forming operations will cause the surface of the alloy to produce corrugated “orange peel” phenomenon, mainly because of the larger grain, but this phenomenon does not harm the performance of the material.
Alloy 600 will not harden due to heat treatment, only cold work hardening. Annealing after cold working softens the material. The softening temperature can be between 871℃ and 1149℃. Grain growth is very rapid at 982 ° C or higher, but a short stay at 1038 ° C softens the material without undue grain growth. The cooling after heat treatment can be slow cooling, or fast quenching cooling, will get a considerable hardness.
- Bars & Rods & Foring Ring /Flanges
- Sheet & Plate
- Strip & Coil
- Welding Wire &Spring wire
- Seamless Tube & Welded Pipe
»Round Bar & Square Bar & Hexagon Bar
● Diameter : φ8～φ300mm Length:10mm-6000mm
● Hot forging, Hot Rolling, Cold Drawing
● Bright Surface, Polished Surface, Black Surface
»Tube & Pipe:Seamless Tube& Welded Pipe
● Cold Drawing Seamless Pipe： φ1.0～φ220mm
● Hot Extrusion pipe: φ50～φ250mm
● Others : U Blend Tube and Elbow
»Hot Rolled Plate & Cold Rolled Sheet
● Cold Rolling Sheet Thickness: ≦2.0mm Width:≦1500m
● Hot rolling Plate Thickness: ≧4.0mm Width: ≦2500m
»Strip & Tape Ribbon
● Thickness: ≧ 0.01mm Width: 15mm-300mm
● Cold rolling BA Strip, Hard & Soft Condition
»Straight Length Wire & Spool Wire
● Welding Wire: φ 0.1mm～6.0mm Cut length Rod: φ1.0～φ8.0mm
● Package : 5-25kg/Spool or Box
Alloy 600 Applications
- Evaporation tanks for petrochemical production, machines for acid and alkali industry, catalytic regenerators
- Curved neck bottles and components in heat treatment furnaces, especially in carbonized and nitriding gases
- Nuclear reactor power generation equipment, heat exchanger
- Corrosion resistance to chlorination and fluoridation: production of organic or inorganic chlorides and fluorides
- Titanium dioxide by chlorine process