Monel 400 is a nickel-copper alloy (about 67% Ni – 23% Cu) that is resistant to sea water and steam at high temperatures as well as to salt and caustic solutions. Alloy 400 is a solid solution alloy that can only be hardened by cold working.
Monel 400 alloy is high-intensity single-phase solid solution,Monel 400 (Ni 67%) is made of a Nickel-Copper alloy that offers outstanding corrosion resistance in seawater. Monel 400 better withstands oxidation attack as compare to other copper based alloys and significantly prevents attack by sulfuric acid, hydrofluoric acid, hydrochloric acid, nitric acid, hydrofluoric acid and alkalis. It offers outstanding resistance to steam and has good toughness that makes it an ideal material for use in the oil refining industries.
Monel alloy 400 can retain its hardness at the various temperature limits. In annealed condition, monel alloy can be used up to 1000oF or 480oC. It has medium to high strength, fine weldability and exceptional mechanical characteristics at subzero temperatures. Alloy 400 is more economical and superior than Nickel.
Monel 400 Characteristic
- Monel 400 offers high strength & strong resistance to chemicals
- Negligible attack in all types of environments
- Excellent corrosion resistance in marine water or salt solutions
- Malleable, ductile and Low CTE
Monel 400 Corrosion Resistance
- Acid medium: Monel400 is corrosion resistant in sulfuric acid concentrations less than 85%.
- Monel400 is one of the few important materials that can resist hydrofluoric acid.
- Water corrosion: Monel400 alloy in most cases of water corrosion, not only excellent corrosion resistance, and pore corrosion, stress corrosion and so on are rarely found, corrosion rate is less than 0.025mm/a.
- High temperature corrosion: the highest temperature of Monel400 continuous working in the air is generally about 600℃, in high temperature steam, corrosion speed is less than 0.026mm/a.
- Ammonia: Due to the high nickel content of Monel400 alloy, it can resist the corrosion of anhydrous ammonia and ammoniation conditions below 585℃.
Monel 400 Chemical Composition
Monel 400 Physical Properties
Monel 400 Minimum mechanical
|Form and Condition||Tensile Strength MPa||Yield Strength (0.2% Offset) MPa||Elongation (%)||Hardness Rockwell B|
|Annealed Rod and Bar||517-620||172-345||60-35||60-80|
|Hot Rolled Plate Annealed||482-586||193-345||50-35||60-76|
|Tube Cold drawn Annealed Seamless||482-586||172-310||50-35||75 max|
- Bars & Rods & Foring Ring /Flanges
- Sheet & Plate
- Strip & Coil
- Welding Wire &Spring wire
- Seamless Tube & Welded Pipe
»Round Bar & Square Bar & Hexagon Bar
● Diameter : φ8～φ300mm Length:10mm-6000mm
● Hot forging, Hot Rolling, Cold Drawing
● Bright Surface, Polished Surface, Black Surface
»Tube & Pipe:Seamless Tube& Welded Pipe
● Cold Drawing Seamless Pipe： φ1.0～φ220mm
● Hot Extrusion pipe: φ50～φ250mm
● Others : U Blend Tube and Elbow
»Hot Rolled Plate & Cold Rolled Sheet
● Cold Rolling Sheet Thickness: ≦2.0mm Width:≦1500m
● Hot rolling Plate Thickness: ≧4.0mm Width: ≦2500m
»Strip & Tape Ribbon
● Thickness: ≧ 0.01mm Width: 15mm-300mm
● Cold rolling BA Strip, Hard & Soft Condition
»Straight Length Wire & Spool Wire
● Welding Wire: φ 0.1mm～6.0mm Cut length Rod: φ1.0～φ8.0mm
● Package : 5-25kg/Spool or Box
Monel 400 ApplicationsI
- Seamless water pipe in the power factory
- Sea-water exchanger and evaporator
- Sulfuric acid and hydrochloric acid environment
- Crude distillation
- Sea-water in the use of equipment and propeller shaft
- Nuclear industry and used in the manufacture of uranium enrichment isotope separation equipment
- Manufacturing hydrochloric acid equipment used in the production of pump and valve