Inconel 601 is a nickel-chromium alloy that offers outstanding oxidation resistance up to 1204°C. Alloy 601 alloy develops a tightly adherent oxide scale which resists spalling even under severe thermal cycling. This alloy has good high temperature strength and retains its ductility after long service exposure, with good corrosion resistance under oxidizing conditions.
Inconel 601 is a nickel-chromium alloy with a face-centered cubic lattice structure that is resistant to oxidation at temperatures up to 1180C. Even under very harsh conditions, such as heating and cooling cycles, 601 produces a dense oxide film and obtains high spalling resistance. 601 has good carbonization resistance. 601 has good oxidation resistance in high temperature sulfurous atmosphere due to high chromium and aluminum content. The alloy has excellent high temperature strength and maintains its ductility after prolonged use. Alloy 601 has good heat resistance and corrosion properties under oxidation condition. 601 alloy is not recommended for use in strong reduction, sulfur environment.
Inconel 601 Chemical Composition
Inconel 601 Physical Properties
Inconel 601 Mechanical Properties
|Mechanical & Physical Properties||21°C||538°C||649°C||760°C||871°C||982°C||1093°C|
|Ultimate Tensile Strength /kMPa||689.5||620.5||413.7||234.4||124.1||-||-|
|0.2% Yield Strength /MPa||372.3||331||282.7||179.2||103.4||-||-|
|Minimum Creep 0.0001% per hr,MPa||-||-||-||28.3||13.8||5.2||3|
|10,000 hr Rupture Strength, MPa||-||-||-||42.7||17.9||8.3||4.3|
|Coefficient of Thermal Expansion µm/m⁰C||15.3||16||16.6||17.1||17.6||18.3|
|Thermal Conductivity /kcal/(hr.m.°C)||9.7||17.3||18.9||20.4||22||23.5||25.1|
|Modulus of Elasticity/ 105 MPa||2.06||1.75||1.66||1.55||1.42||1.27||1.12|
Inconel 601 Manufacturing and heat treatment
Alloy 601 can be processed by all conventional processing techniques. The alloy tends to work harden during machining.
The alloy can be easily formed by all conventional methods. All traces of lubricant must be removed after forming, as the alloy may become brittle at high temperatures.
Alloy 601 can be welded using traditional welding techniques, such as gas tungsten welding, shielded metal arc welding, and submerged arc welding.
Forging of 601 alloy can be performed at temperatures ranging from 1038 to 1232°C (1900 to 2250°F).
The alloy is hot worked at temperatures from 871 to 1232°C (1600 to 2250°F).
The alloy can be cold worked using standard tools.
The annealing of Pyromet 601 alloy was performed at 1149°C (2100°F) and then quickly cooled to avoid hot cracking.
- Bars & Rods & Foring Ring /Flanges
- Sheet & Plate
- Strip & Coil
- Welding Wire &Spring wire
- Seamless Tube & Welded Pipe
»Round Bar & Square Bar & Hexagon Bar
● Diameter : φ8～φ300mm Length:10mm-6000mm
● Hot forging, Hot Rolling, Cold Drawing
● Bright Surface, Polished Surface, Black Surface
»Tube & Pipe:Seamless Tube& Welded Pipe
● Cold Drawing Seamless Pipe： φ1.0～φ220mm
● Hot Extrusion pipe: φ50～φ250mm
● Others : U Blend Tube and Elbow
»Hot Rolled Plate & Cold Rolled Sheet
● Cold Rolling Sheet Thickness: ≦2.0mm Width:≦1500m
● Hot rolling Plate Thickness: ≧4.0mm Width: ≦2500m
»Strip & Tape Ribbon
● Thickness: ≧ 0.01mm Width: 15mm-300mm
● Cold rolling BA Strip, Hard & Soft Condition
»Straight Length Wire & Spool Wire
● Welding Wire: φ 0.1mm～6.0mm Cut length Rod: φ1.0～φ8.0mm
● Package : 5-25kg/Spool or Box
Inconel 601 Applications
- Trays, baskets and fixtures for heat treatment plant
- Strand-annealing and radiant heater tubes, high-velocity gas burners, wire mesh belts in industrial furnaces
- Insulating cans in ammonia reformers and catalyst support grids in nitric acid production
- Components in exhaust gas systems
- Combustion chambers in solid waste incinerators
- Tube supports and ash-handling components
- Components of waste-gas detoxification systems
- Oxygen preheaters