MIG & TIG
C276 is a nickel-chromium-molybdenum filler metal developed for MIG and TIG welding of Hastelloy C and Hastelloy C-276 to themselves, to stainless steel or to other nickel base alloys. C276 offers excellent resistance to pitting, stress-corrosion cracking and oxidizing atmospheres up to 1900°F. This filler metal is frequently used for welding the clad side of joints on steel in the chemical, petrochemical and petroleum industries. C276 offers excellent resistance to a wide range of chemicals including the corrosive effects of wet chlorine gas, hypochlorite and chlorine dioxide solutions. Other uses would include hot contaminated mineral acids, solvents, solutions (organic and inorganic) contaminated by chlorine or chlorides, dry chlorine acetic or ferric acids, seawater and brine solutions.
Hastelloy C276 welding wire is a type of filler wire specifically designed for welding applications involving Hastelloy C276 alloy. Hastelloy C276 is a nickel-molybdenum-chromium alloy known for its excellent corrosion resistance in a wide range of aggressive environments, including acids, chlorides, and oxidizing media.
The welding wire is used in various welding processes, such as gas tungsten arc welding (GTAW or TIG) and gas metal arc welding (GMAW or MIG), to join or overlay Hastelloy C276 components or to create protective coatings on other materials.
Here are some features and benefits of Hastelloy C276 welding wire:
Corrosion Resistance: Hastelloy C276 exhibits outstanding resistance to corrosion, making it suitable for welding applications in aggressive environments, including chemical processing, petrochemical, and waste treatment industries.
Versatility: Hastelloy C276 welding wire can be used for both joining similar alloys and overlaying other substrates to provide a corrosion-resistant coating. It is compatible with a wide range of base materials, including stainless steels, nickel alloys, and carbon steels.
High-Temperature Strength: Hastelloy C276 maintains good mechanical strength and integrity at elevated temperatures, allowing welded joints to withstand high-temperature service conditions.
Weldability: The welding wire offers excellent weldability and can produce high-quality welds with good mechanical properties. It provides good fusion and wetting characteristics, enabling the formation of sound welds with minimal defects.
Chemical Composition: Hastelloy C276 welding wire typically contains approximately 15-17% molybdenum, 14-16% chromium, 4-7% iron, 3-5% tungsten, 2.5% cobalt, 1.5-3% manganese, and small amounts of other elements such as nickel, carbon, and silicon.
When using Hastelloy C276 welding wire, it is crucial to follow proper welding procedures, including pre-weld/post-weld heat treatment, to ensure the desired mechanical properties and corrosion resistance of the welded joint. It is recommended to consult the manufacturer’s guidelines and specifications for detailed instructions on welding parameters and techniques specific to Hastelloy C276 welding wire.
|Condition||Tensile strength Mpa (Ksi)||Yield strength Mpa (Ksi)||Elongation %|
|AWS Reaulrement||690（100）||Not specified||Not specified|
|Typical Results as weled||730（106）||540（79）||39|
|Diameter(in）||Diameter(mm)||Process||Volt||Amps (flat)||Amps (V/OH)|
|0.035||-0.9||GMAW||26-29||150-190||Spray Transfer 100% Argon|
|0.045||-1.2||GMAW||28-32||180-220||Spray Transfer 100% Argon|
|1/16||-1.6||GMAW||29-33||200-250||Spray Transfer 100% Argon|
|3/32||-2.4||SAW||29 – 32||350 – 450||Suitable Flux May Be Used.|
|1/8||-3.2||SAW||30 – 33||400 – 550||Suitable Flux May Be Used.|
|Wire For MIG/GMAW Welding||0.8mm /1.0mm /1.2mm /1.6mm /2.0mm /2.4mm /2.5mm /3.2mm||-||33 lbs (15kgs)|
|Rods For TIG/GTAW Welding||2.0mm /2.4mm /2.5mm /3.2mm /4.0mm /5.0mm||915mm- 1000mm||11 lbs (5kgs)|
|Wire For SAW Welding||2.0mm /2.4mm /2.5mm /3.2mm /4.0mm /5.0mm||-||60 lbs (27kgs)|
Hastelloy C276, a remarkable superalloy renowned for its outstanding corrosion resistance, finds itself in various industrial sectors where the environment is exceptionally harsh and demanding. Among its numerous applications, one of the most vital is in the form of welding wire. Hastelloy C276 welding wire stands as a beacon of reliability and precision in the welding industry, where the joining of materials necessitates the utmost quality, performance, and safety. In this comprehensive product description, we delve into the world of Hastelloy C276 welding wire, examining its properties, applications, manufacturing processes, and the myriad benefits it bestows upon those who entrust it with their welding needs.
Introduction to Hastelloy C276 Welding Wire
Hastelloy C276, part of the Hastelloy family of superalloys, is a nickel-molybdenum-chromium alloy with a dash of tungsten. It was designed to confront the most challenging environments, where other materials would yield to the corrosive forces at play. With its exceptional corrosion resistance in both oxidizing and reducing atmospheres, Hastelloy C276 has become the preferred material in critical industries such as chemical processing, oil and gas, pharmaceuticals, and more. When it comes to joining, welding, or repairing components made of this extraordinary alloy, Hastelloy C276 welding wire is the linchpin of success.
Properties of Hastelloy C276 Welding Wire
The hallmark of Hastelloy C276 is its unmatched resistance to a wide range of aggressive chemicals. This attribute carries over to its welding wire, ensuring that the welds maintain the alloy’s resistance in harsh environments.
High Temperature Stability:
Hastelloy C276 can endure elevated temperatures without losing its mechanical properties. This stability extends to the welding wire, making it an ideal choice for high-temperature welding applications.
Strength and Durability:
The welding wire retains the alloy’s strength and durability, ensuring robust and long-lasting welds that can withstand the rigors of industrial use.
Hastelloy C276 welding wire exhibits excellent weldability, allowing for easy and efficient joining of components without sacrificing the alloy’s corrosion resistance.
Our Hastelloy C276 welding wire is manufactured to exacting standards, ensuring a consistent and precise chemical composition, which is vital for achieving desired welding results.
III. Applications of Hastelloy C276 Welding Wire
Hastelloy C276 welding wire finds its place in a multitude of industries, serving as a fundamental component in the welding and repair processes. Its applications are vast and varied, catering to the unique needs of each sector:
In chemical plants where corrosive chemicals and acids are prevalent, Hastelloy C276 welding wire is indispensable for joining or repairing critical components, ensuring the safety and longevity of the equipment.
Oil and Gas Industry:
Hastelloy C276 welding wire is employed in the oil and gas sector for welding and maintaining components exposed to aggressive environments, such as offshore platforms and refinery equipment.
Within the pharmaceutical industry, where product purity is paramount, Hastelloy C276 welding wire helps ensure that equipment remains corrosion-free, complying with stringent regulatory standards.
Pulp and Paper Manufacturing:
In pulp and paper mills, where exposure to corrosive chemicals is commonplace, Hastelloy C276 welding wire plays a critical role in keeping the production process efficient and the equipment durable.
The aerospace industry utilizes Hastelloy C276 welding wire for the fabrication and repair of components exposed to extreme conditions, including the heat and chemicals encountered in rocket propulsion systems.
Marine and Offshore:
In marine and offshore applications, where equipment is subjected to the relentless onslaught of saltwater, Hastelloy C276 welding wire ensures the longevity and reliability of welded structures and components.
Within the power generation sector, Hastelloy C276 welding wire is used for welding heat exchangers and other equipment exposed to high temperatures and aggressive media.
In facilities dedicated to environmental protection and waste management, Hastelloy C276 welding wire is vital for maintaining equipment that deals with hazardous substances.
Manufacturing Process of Hastelloy C276 Welding Wire
The production of Hastelloy C276 welding wire is a sophisticated and highly controlled process that ensures the final product’s quality, consistency, and adherence to industry standards. Here is an overview of the manufacturing steps:
- Raw Material Selection: The process begins with the selection of high-purity raw materials, including nickel, chromium, molybdenum, and tungsten. The quality of these materials is crucial to the wire’s performance.
- Melting and Alloying: The raw materials are melted and alloyed in a controlled environment to achieve the precise chemical composition required for Hastelloy C276.
- Casting: The molten alloy is cast into billets or ingots. The casting process is closely monitored to ensure homogeneity and freedom from impurities.
- Hot Working: The cast billets are hot-worked into various intermediate shapes, such as bars or rods. This step involves forging, rolling, or extrusion, depending on the desired form.
- Cold Drawing: The intermediate shapes are further processed through cold drawing, a precision method that reduces the diameter while increasing the length of the material. This cold drawing process enhances the wire’s mechanical properties and dimensional accuracy.
- Annealing: The wire is subjected to controlled annealing processes to relieve internal stresses, refine the grain structure, and optimize mechanical properties.
- Surface Finish: The wire undergoes surface treatments to achieve the desired finish, which can range from bright and smooth to matte, depending on the intended application.
- Quality Control: At every stage of production, quality control measures are implemented to verify compliance with chemical composition, mechanical properties, and dimensional accuracy.
- Packaging and Delivery: The finished Hastelloy C276 welding wire is packaged in a manner that ensures its protection during transport and storage, ready to be delivered to the end user.
Benefits of Choosing Hastelloy C276 Welding Wire
Selecting Hastelloy C276 welding wire for your welding and fabrication needs offers a multitude of advantages, including:
- Superior Corrosion Resistance: The alloy’s resistance to a broad spectrum of corrosive media, including strong acids and chlorides, provides unmatched protection against corrosion.
- High-Temperature Performance: Hastelloy C276 maintains its strength and integrity at elevated temperatures, making it ideal for high-temperature applications.
- Longevity and Durability: Welded components benefit from the alloy’s robustness, ensuring longevity, even in harsh environments.
- Ease of Welding: Hastelloy C276 welding wire is known for its ease of welding, allowing for efficient and reliable welds, reducing the likelihood of defects.
- Compliance with Industry Standards: The alloy meets or exceeds industry standards, providing peace of mind regarding performance and safety.
Environmental and Safety Considerations
As with any industrial process, the manufacturing and use of Hastelloy C276 welding wire involve certain environmental and safety considerations:
- Environmental Responsibility: The production of Hastelloy C276 welding wire is subject to environmental regulations and standards. Manufacturers in this industry are typically committed to reducing waste, managing emissions, and minimizing the environmental footprint of their operations.
- Safety Precautions: While Hastelloy C276 welding wire is safe to use, welding processes, in general, require adherence to safety protocols. Proper ventilation, personal protective equipment (PPE), and safety training are essential when working with welding equipment and materials.
- Recycling and Disposal: Consideration should be given to the recycling and disposal of waste materials generated during the manufacturing process. Recycling and proper disposal of materials are environmentally responsible practices.
- Regulatory Compliance: Manufacturers and users of Hastelloy C276 welding wire must adhere to local, national, and international regulations governing the use and handling of materials in industrial applications.
Maintenance and Care of Hastelloy C276 Welding Wire
To maximize the performance and longevity of Hastelloy C276 welding wire, it’s important to follow maintenance and care guidelines:
- Storage: Store the welding wire in a clean, dry, and covered environment to prevent exposure to moisture and contaminants.
- Avoid Mixing: Keep the welding wire separate from other materials to prevent cross-contamination, which can compromise its corrosion resistance.
- Regular Inspection: Periodically inspect the welding wire for signs of damage or corrosion, especially if it has been in storage for an extended period.
- Proper Handling: Follow safe handling procedures to avoid contamination or damage to the wire before and during the welding process.
- Optimal Welding Conditions: Use the recommended welding parameters, including current, voltage, and shielding gas, to achieve high-quality welds and minimize the risk of defects.
- Clean Welding Equipment: Ensure that welding equipment, such as torches and nozzles, is clean and free from contaminants to maintain the integrity of the weld.
- Post-Weld Cleaning: After welding, clean the weld area to remove any slag or residues to prevent potential corrosion.
In the world of welding and fabrication, the choice of materials is paramount. Hastelloy C276 welding wire is the answer for those seeking superior corrosion resistance, high-temperature performance, and durability. It is a material that excels in demanding environments across a range of industries, from chemical processing to aerospace. The precise manufacturing process and adherence to quality standards ensure that each batch of Hastelloy C276 welding wire is consistent and reliable.
By choosing Hastelloy C276 welding wire, you’re not just selecting a welding material; you’re making a commitment to the safety, longevity, and performance of your welded components. In an ever-evolving industrial landscape, where the demands placed on materials and processes are continually increasing, Hastelloy C276 welding wire stands as a dependable and trusted ally, ready to tackle the most challenging welding applications with grace and resilience.
Elevate your welding projects with the exceptional attributes of Hastelloy C276 welding wire. Whether you are crafting critical components in the chemical industry, building structures for the offshore sector, or venturing into the demanding world of aerospace, this welding wire provides a reliable and enduring solution that ensures the integrity and longevity of your welds. Choose excellence; choose Hastelloy C276 welding wire.